Approved Minutes of 25th April 2014

ROYAL WELSH YACHT CLUB

Draft Minutes the Meeting of the Management Committee

held at Porth yr Aur on Friday, 25th April, 2014 at 8pm

1.Members Present:

Brian Roberts                  Commodore

Neville Roberts               Immediate Past Commodore

Barry Powell                   Vice Commodore

Sarah Roberts                Rear Commodore

Andrea Roberts              Hon. Secretary

Margaret Crozier            Deputy Treasurer

Mo Judge                       Hon. Membership Secretary

Louise Messenger

Peter King

2.Apologies for Absence:

Malcolm Jones             Hon. Treasurer

Bethan Hughes            Hon. Rowing Secretary

Ednyfed HudsonDavies     Southern Squadron Representative

Debbie Parsons

3. Approval of Minutes of Meeting held on 28th March 2014

Proposed by Nev Roberts

Seconded by Mo Judge

Approved

4.Matters Arising – None

5.Declaration of Conflicts of Interest – Non Declared

6.Reports from Officers

A. Commodore

My report for the meeting is contained within the following Condition Report from Elinor Gray-Williams Associate with Donald Insall Associates:

“Hi Brian Please find below an update as requested for your meeting tonight; •Condition Report.

This is now complete, and ready to be priced by the Quantity Surveyor. This is attached.

The Structural Engineer has visited site and we have established the original and historic bits of the structure. The structural engineers’ observations have been relayed to Cadw to establish the margins of how we may be able to make the proposed alternations and their review of this.

1•Existing Plans. No plans received from AP Thomas, but DIA have now re-drawn these in electronic format

for the purpose of developing proposals in sketch format and for Planning.

Options. Thanks for the Club’s feedback, which we hope to meet with you and discuss in greater

detail soon, once we have established Cadw’s position in relation to all Options.

To date I have spoken to the Conservation Officer and Cadw to gather initial thoughts. I note basis of conversations as below in outline;

1.Both parties were very keen to be involved in discussions from the offset due to the listing status of the building.

2.If the lift is to be included but he is currently liaising with the Archaeological team in Cadw to confer more solid thoughts.

3.The Conservation Officer preferred the no lift Option, and should a lift be justifiable (or supported by Cadw) then Eryl Williams preferred Option 1 (within the garder robe area).

4.Cadw will get top trumps in this relationship, and Gwynedd Council understands that … but it’s good to keep all parties involved and feel ownership from the offset to gain good momentum for the project.

I have organised to meet with Cadw’s Archaeological Team this Thursday to review and conclude their final position on the way they prefer to proceed. We may then need to establish a position from the Club with regards to the purchase of the adjacent land.

Please ring me tonight if you need to discuss following / during your meeting. I’m sorry things have moved a bit slower than I’d hoped, but I hope to conclude a firm position from Cadw next week, so we can then steamroll ahead without further delay.

Kind regards, Elinor”

The Management Committee agreed to await the feedback from the Cadw meeting and discuss next month.

B Vice Commodore

No progress has been made with regard to building a day sailing boat.A special meeting will need to be convened to discuss further the PushThe Boat out, as we are finding Insurance and Legal complications. The inshore race on the 17th May has been moved to the 18th May. More liaison with local clubs to join in our sailing program. The Harbour Master has agreed to the use of a pontoon for the Push the Boat out day. A date has to be agreed for the Rowers and Yachts race.Information on sail past for the Commonwealth Games required.

Sail Past to coincide with Glasgow Sailpast Push to Boat Out = Risk Assessment of the whole area – necessary.

RYA Checklist  Jeanette Hopkins – Action – Mo Judge

C. Rear Commodore.

Social/Rowing Events responsible for:

With Bethan, registering teams and supporting our catering team during the Castle to Castle. Ad hoc Quiz to cover for deferred Friday talk.

Contact made and meetings attended:

Met with cooker engineer and agreed work on cooker to be completed.

House meeting held and agreed actions

With Hon Sec interviewed and appointed temporary cleaner (Annwen Owen) and temporary Bar Staff (Dale Messenger)

Sarah Roberts proposed that the barman receive a higher wage than the cleaner as a result of the additional responsibilities in terms of cash handling.

Seconded by Nev Roberts.

Agreed.

Volunteers for Sunday if we have gaps we offer it to Dale.

Met with family representative to discuss Club to be used as venue for Wedding reception on October 4th 2014. Subsequently booked by Kevin Williams.

Met with Snowdonia Fire Protection for annual smoke detector test.

House Committee working party:

The team cleared the excess soil from outside the gents, applied weedkiller to wall, removed facia boards from gents, applied emulsion to ceiling and walls of gents, tacked back loose wood and painted the back of the fireplace in main bar. The barbican has been measured ready for new seating to be prepared and fitted and wood to replace the seating has been kindly donated by the Vice Commodore. Thanks to Mo, Brian, Barry and Trevor for their help on the day. Next working party is scheduled for the 10th of May. Jobs to be undertaken then include: replacing the seating on barbican, completing the emulsioning, replacing the hot water heater in gents, sorting the donated oars out for display.

Thanks recorded

Margaret has kindly donated many items recently to the Club including new life jackets, waterproof coat, tender and engine. I’d like to record my thanks to Margaret for these and many more donations given which are gratefully received.

D. Hon. Secretary

No specific report this month but a request that reports for the Management Committee Meeting be with the Hon. Secretary by the Thursday before the meeting at the very latest as it is not fair to committee members if reports are not received by the Hon. Secretary until 5pm on the evening of the meeting.

E. Hon. Treasurer

Financial position:

Business account :                           £9,922-89

Subs account:                                   £1,478-11

Investment account :                    £28,502-49

Total at bank:                                £39,903-49

Please note that the Business account currently holds a payment of £8555 which is the grant money secured (primarily by the Commodores efforts – many thanks) to fund a full survey on the Club building. I believe this will cost the Club a total of £10,000 so the balance of £1445 will eventually have to be paid from Club funds, and this is well within the limit set at an earlier meeting.

Apologies, but I have been unable to complete the ‘Events Record’ to date – this will be done prior to the May Management meeting.

F. Hon. Membership Secretary

1.Total Number of Members:      226                    (incl. resignations)

2.New Membership Applications

Tim Welsh – Full – Proposed by Brian Roberts; Seconded by Malcolm Jones.                   Agreed

Kevin Williams – Overseas – Proposed by Brian Roberts; Seconded by Sarah Roberts     Agreed

Trevor Williams – Full – Proposed by Sarah Roberts; Seconded by Brian Roberts             Agreed

Hugh Gregory – Senior – Proposed by Neville Roberts; Seconded by Barry Powell            Agreed

3.Resignations/Non-renewals

95 – Mr A Jacks – No longer making use of snooker facilities

133 – Mr G Morris – as above

4.Deaths None known

5.Renewals

189 – completed

17 – part payment received (£200 outstanding)

16 – not yet paid (£1245 outstanding)

List of non-payers

Non to be deleted by letter of advice

6.Open Doors

Do we hold an event this year?

If yes, propose 6th or 13th September – Yes date to be confirmed The Civic Society have said they will build a programme of other sites around the date of our choice so there will be programmes circulated by them and likely radio/ newspaper advertising.  Agreed 13th September 2014

G. Hon. Sailing Secretary – Non Appointed For sailing information see Vice Commodore’s Report

H. Hon. Rowing Secretary The preparations for the Celtic Challenge have continued with the team practising boat to boat and rib transfers. Arrangements are all in hand thanks to the stirling work of Mike Laing. THANK Allan Price for his help and Mark Walker on training days

We had a successful Castle to Castle race with a record entry of 25 boats, these included a skiff from Edinburgh and a yole/lite boat from Chester. Teams came from Shrewsbury and as far as South Wales for this unique event. Thanks to all for their help and support. Unfortunately the change in weather saw the league race for the Sunday to be cancelled. We are hoping to re-schedule this for June 29th, we await confirmation from the WSRA.

We have at last received Branwen, boat 91 back from Dale. Martin and Ian kindly went down to Dales to collect her.

We are losing some of our new young members due to work opportunities taking them away from the area. We need a drive to enlist new members.

I. Social Secretary

The Commodore expressed the view that it would be nice if a few more people came up with ideas for events.

RWYC entry into Race for Life on 1.6.14 is being promoted by Louise Messenger.The entrants will start at Porth yr Aur and finish with celebratory sandwiches at Porth yr Aur.

J.Southern Squadron – No representative at this meeting but they send their good wishes

7.  Bar Cover – dealt with above

8.  RYA Push the Boat Out Scheme – 17th May 2014 – dealt with above

9. Room Hire We have received a request to hold a wedding reception in Porth yr Aur.Agreed

10. Overseas Membership Task and finish group – Brian Roberts, Andrea Roberts and John Judge

11. Date of next meeting: 30th May 2014 at 8pm.